Dismantling the Truck


Front clip

We started the tear-down with removing the front bumper, then onto removing the entire front clip, and while there were several stubborn bolts, but they could not stand up to the continuous flow of WD-40. Besides the wiring harness, there were roughly eight bolts to remove the clip.

283 engine

Out came the engine and tranny with no problems. Sold the complete engine for $200 as we did not know if it ran. We did pull of the valve cover and oil pan to take a look at it, and it was extremely clean due to the fact that it had been running on propane. NOTE after the fact, I wished I would have kept this engine as I had a hard time peicing together the correct brackets and pulleys for the new engine.

Cleaning 30 years off.

Next, I used a pressure washer to blast off 30+ years of dirt and grime. This took about two hours to get most of the build up off, and once the front end was clean enough, we pushed the truck up the driveway into the garage.

In it's new home.

Now that the truck is in the garage, I can start taking all of the interior parts. As everything was removed, it was labled and bagged. This way I can keep track of all the parts, and create a list of what needs to be replaced.

Look MA! No Cab!

We used the engine hoist with chains bolted to the seat brackets, to hoist the cab and set it on a metal rolling rack.

Bed is off.

I had to cut the main bolts that hold the bed off as the nuts would not break loose, and because of wood bed, the heads would just spin. In order to remove the wood from the bed, I drilled the head of carriage bolt with a 1/4 inch drill bit, the used a punch and hammer to knock the bolt through. I then dismantled the bed and put it aside for later.

Down to the frame.

Well, finally down to the bare frame. With the help of a friend, it took us about 10 hours (spread out over two days) to get to this. Now wouldn't it be great if it only takes 10 hours to rebuild it. Ya Right!! Now onto reworking the frame.

Back to Home Page