Most of the suspension parts, already sandblasted, were primered and painted
the same as the frame. For the new stance, I brought a 4/6 inch
drop kit from Early Classics. That kit included four lowered shocks, 2 inch
drop front coil springs, 2 inch drop front spindles, 6 inch drop rear
springs, new upper and lower rear shock re-locator brackets, adjustable
pan hard bar, and new locator for the pan hard bar. I brought new upper
and lower control arm shaft kits, inner and outer tie rod ends, upper
and lower ball joints, pitman and idler arms, and sway bar bushings for a 1975
Chevy 1/2 ton. I also pulled rotors, and brake calipers from a junkyard
1975 1/2 truck, and pulled a 1 1/16 inch sway bar from a one ton Chevy.
Using the rotors from this year truck allowed me to convert from the stock 6 lug
pattern to a newer 5 on 5 lug pattern. After having the rotors turned, and
rebuilding the calipers, I started to reassemble the front suspension with
power steering, power disc brakes, sway bar, and a four inch drop.
For the rear, I opted to use a Ford nine rear end with factory disc brakes. I pulled
this from a 1975 Lincoln Continental with a 460 engine for only $175.00!!. I
also grabbed the brake proportional valve. The nine inch is only one inch wider
than my factory 12 bolt. All I had to do was remove six brackets from the nine
inch, and weld on two Chevy locator brackets. I also had the rotor turned, and
rebuilt the calipers. The lug pattern on the nine inch is also a 5 on 5, so that
took care of the 6 to 5 lug conversion for the rear. Before I dropped the rear-end
in, I replaced the upper shock mounting brackets with the ones from Early Classics. I
also replaced the trailing arm bushings. I then reassemble the rear suspension, using
the new shocks, springs, pan hard bar and brackets.